Transition Guide – Independent Living (Community Participation)
QUESTIONS TO CONSIDER
- Where do you want to live as an adult?
- What kind of supports will you need for transportation, medical issues, daily living and leisure time activities, and how will you pay for what you need?
- How will you maintain and increase your social work?
- Eat healthy and exercise
- Engage in extracurricular/community activities
- Encourage friendships and understand what it means to be a good friend
- Use assistive technology
- State your health care requirements and medication needs
- Continue and expand engagement in extracurricular/community activities
- Establish relationships (peers, friends, mentors)
- Learn about resources in your community that can help you
- Practice safe and suitable technology use.
- Implement a time/money management pan
- Explore transportation options (practice mobility skills)
- Understand health/medical needs
- Be informed of issues related to sexuality
- Engage in community opportunities (community service, faith-based activities, youth groups, etc.)
- Describe what adult agencies can help you and connect with these agencies
- Continue to develop healthy relationships that have a positive impact on your future
- Understand what in the community is important to you and for you and further engage in these activities
- Assess and know how to access transportation options.
- Begin assuming and transfer of responsibility for health needs
- Continue making healthy choices
- Continue community involvement ensuring healthy lifestyle choices and understanding of risk behaviors
- Continue involvement with the adult agencies that will assist you
- Develop financial literacy skills
- Describe potential changes to current benefits if employed
- Develop a plan for a balanced life (time management, school, work, leisure)
- Register for selective service/register to vote
- Finalize independent living arrangements and community connections
- Engage with adult supports to ensure a coordination of services
- https://www.virginia.gov/services/ (VA)
- http://virginiaservice.virginia.gov/volunteering/ (VA)
RECREATION AND LEISURE
BENEFITS & FINANCIAL PLANNING
- http://www.vaaccses.org/wipa/ (VA)
- http://www.dmas.virginia.gov/Content_pgs/ltc-home.aspx (VA)